“I hate myself every day” Teen convicted of manslaughter, apologizes to Serena McKay’s family


The teenager who admitted manslaughter in Serena McKay’s fatal assault apologized to McKay’s family members in the Winnipeg courtroom.

“I did what I think must have been a huge blessing for you. Serena’s incredibly talented as well as blessed existence,” Serena said on Tuesday. “I cannot ever be content with myself for the actions I’ve taken … I hate myself for letting it get this much.”


She admitted to court that she is feeling guilt and shame, and is determined to take responsibility to her part in the “missing piece” in their lives.

McKay’s corpse was discovered in Manitoba’s Sagkeeng First Nation on April 23rd, 2017. A pathologist confirmed that the 19-year old likely died from hypothermia. being unable to seek refuge from the cold as a result of her injuries and the amount that alcohol was present in her body. Two teenagers, aged 17 and 16 were detained.


The older teenager was sentenced earlier in the month to just under three years in prison.

The girl who turned 17 in the past has pleaded guilty to manslaughter last month and is scheduled for sentencing hearings later this week.


Teenagers are ‘panicked children’

The teenager’s defense lawyer described his client as an “panicked young man” who deserves to be punished as a young person.

James Wood recommended a Manitoba provincial court judge to impose the maximum sentence for youth that is three years in prison for murder with no credit for period the teen has been in custody. He also suggested that the teen to finish an intensive rehab program to resolve her unresolved trauma as well as addiction issues.

“Her actions show a scared young woman who was involved in a highly grave matter,” Wood told court Tuesday, adding that an adult sentence is not appropriate.


The Crown has claimed that the teenager was responsible for the attack, and that he should get sentenced for seven years of the custody of an adult.

However, the lawyer for the teen made reference to a pre-sentence psychological evaluation of the girl that showed she had the moral character of an adolescent , and was susceptible to making poor decisions.

Wood explained that the girl, who was shifted to Sagkeeng First Nation within the Sagkeeng First Nation in 2016 by her mother, was experiencing issues adjusting to the tiny village.


Wood had been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder as well as drug use disorder, Wood explained.

He believed that an addiction as well as unresolved trauma of her previous life such as sexual assaults, left her susceptible to the events that occurred on the night of the attack.


Court has previously heard of an argument began in the presence of McKay as well as two friends over alcohol during an evening party at home. The two girls then argued in the outside. Two videos that were played in court shows McKay being beaten and kicked on by the two teenagers.

McKay suffered 67 injuries to her body after she died, the court informed.


She reverted to

Wood stated that while these videos were “shocking and horrifying,” there is no evidence to indicate who initiated the fight.

He said that the teen was not the one who initiated the assault nor did she record or release the video. He also informed the judge that the teen didn’t lie on her part in her participation.


“To say that she tried to cover up the incident is not true,” Wood said.

The teen consulted the guidance counselor at her school after the body of McKay was discovered and then turned herself in to the police along with her father. Wood told the police.


She has no criminal record and has completed all programs offered to her from the Manitoba Youth Centre, he added.

Wood also informed the judge that his client was not the same person, and was not in the identical role as her co-accused therefore, he is not entitled to the same sentence.

Manitoba Provincial Court Judge Lindy Choy will make her sentence decision in August.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.